Keith's Blog

Back from Europe

I have just returned from my first trip to Europe. My sister and I went on a 2.5 week adventure through England, France, Holland, Germany, Austria, and Italy. We saw things old and new, pious and racy, urban and natural.

I didn't expect: Graffiti everywhere! It got worse as we proceeded south.

Something I learned: America is a wonderful place. You truly can't appreciate it until you spend time in other countries.

Most Annoying: Europeans don't have the same concept of personal space, they have no problem being less than a foot from you, which can be quite uncomfortable when it's hot and you're stuck on a metro train.
Close 2nd: Discovering that our travel agent had booked us in a city 1.5 hours from Amsterdam, when we were there to see Amsterdam.

Most Interesting: Stonehenge, as well as it's history

Least Interesting: Berlin. I'd avoid the Checkpoint Charlie museum, it doesn't boast many interesting exhibits. You get numb to seeing bigger and bigger peices of the Berlin wall.

Most Fun: My 600m ascent hike near Innsbruck, one of the most beautiful hikes I've ever been on.

Least Fun: 6 hour train rides

Most comforable: Walking into our Rome accomodations with air conditions (the only air conditioned hotel in Europe apparently)

Least comfortable: Traveling in a couchette with 4 other people, on a hard bed with tissue paper sheets and flat pillow.

Oldest thing seen: Roman ruins in Rome

Newest thing seen: Probably the World Cup stadium in Berlin

Pictures Taken: 268

Most expensive tourist item: These string things that people con on you in Paris, (10 euros each!)

It was a decent trip. I'll probably go back someday, but I will take a very different trip next time. Most likely with a concentration of hikes in the Alps.

Pictures can be found at http://www.keith-roberts.com/gallery2/v/EuropeTrip
I'll be uploading the various countries throughout the week.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home