Keith's Blog

Rude Climber

While I was climbing in the gym today, I witnessed a very poor example of climbing ettiqueite. There was this guy there lead climbing with whom I can only suppose is his girlfriend. She was attempting to lead a fairly overhung 5.7.

She was obviously a new lead climber, as she hadn't quite figured out the ins and outs of clipping. She clipped, and then reached under the clip to get the rope for the next clip. Needless to say, she got herself into a mess.

While she was in this connundrum, the guy belaying her was shouting things at her like "you didn't clip right!" "you did that totally wrong" "oh, it's so messed up, just come down!" and the worst of all "just forget it, I'm letting you down". Imagine him saying this in a very sarcastic, superior voice. I looked at my belay partner and said to him, "that guy's being a total jerk, I wonder why she puts up with it?".

My point is simply that, there are plenty of people climbing in a gym, no need to put up with a rude partner.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home